14 March 2019

Woman pilot want to fight in First World War


Aviator Dorothy Rice Peirce Sims

Dorothy Rice Peirce Sims

Angry when French and American armies refused to let her fly and fight in #WW1.


"Why shouldn’t they take me? I can fly as well as any man. I’ve been doing it for two months and I’ve never had and a mishap. … I must study some more before I can get a military aviator’s license. But I am almost ready to take the tests, and I don’t think I’ll fail."

Dorothy Rice Peirce Sims

Eventually Dorothy set up an aviation training school on New York’s Long Island aimed at teaching women to fly.

(24 June 1889 – 24 March  1960

Dorothy Rice Peirce Sims

RIP

History Snoopin': The Girls of Summer

The Girls of Summer by Bill Miller for the Mail Tribune Monday, June 8th 2020 It simply couldn’t be true. The Girls...